(英文) Language And Culture
|姚詠文 Nicolene Kleynhans|
|課程概述與目標 Course Overview and Goals：The purpose of this course is to help students understand about our interdependent world, expanding their ability to communicate with people from different cultural/sub-cultural backgrounds, and develop greater skills in dealing with cultural conflicts as an important part of their global education. We will examine several important concepts and use examples in our every life as case studies for further discussion. There is a strong emphasis on oral communication, so every student must be prepared to speak in every class.|
| 1.‘Experiencing Intercultural Communication- An Introduction’, sixth edition, Judith N. Martin and Tomas K. Nakayama, Mc Graw Hill Education, 2018.
2.‘An Introduction to Intercultural Communication-Identities in a Global Community’, 8th edition, Fred E. Jandt, SAGE, 2016.
|1||Intercultural Communication||1. Introduction
3. Gender identity and social roles
4. White privilege
5. Chinese vs. Western perspectives on communication
6. Subculture and co-culture
7. Individualism vs. Collectivism
8. Barriers to intercultural communication
9. Ethnocentrism and discrimination
10. How identities are created through communication?
11. Nonverbal Communication
12. Intercultural conflict
13. The importance of context
14. Managing intercultural conflict
15. Cultures within cultures
|The purpose of this course is to help students understand about our interdependent world, expanding their ability to communicate with people from different cultural backgrounds.|
教學要點概述 Overview of Teaching Points：